Recently, I had a strange behaviour with my Eclipse installation. I think the error occurred after I had to kill Eclipse due to some issue during a build. Afterwards Eclipse was unable to restore the workspace.
If you run into the same issue try these three things:
As I prefer Git as version control system I often end up working with it as client for Subversion (SVN) repositories. Recently, I had to interact with a SVN repository which was moved to another location after my initial cloning.
As Git stores the SVN URL and includes it into the SHA-1 hash calculation you can end up having the following problem as soon as you change the repository URL and try to push your changes to the remote repository:
Unable to determine upstream SVN information from HEAD history.
Perhaps the repository is empty. at /usr/libexec/git-core/git-svn line 519.
The problem is that by changing the SVN repository URL calculated SHA-1 hashes differ and Git cannot determine the proper commit to push to. In order to overcome these problems you can add the rewriteRoot option to your configuration file and afterwards change the URL:
When working on SOA projects I am used to create some developer test suites for myself in order to do some initial web service QA. For this purpose SoapUI is a commonly used functional testing tool. Depending on the project these “small” test suites can actually become quite big. That is fine as long only one service endpoint has to be tested, however most likely you end up with several endpoints for different development stages (development, integration, production). Gladly SoapUI provides a functionality to set web service endpoints for all service request. Only problem is to find this functionality 😉
To demonstrate the functionality I took a standard global weather service and created a small SoapUI project.
Within the project I created some requests and test suites for both operations. Furthermore, I added some additional endpoints to the GlobalWeatherSoap Interface. You can access this view by double clicking the respective web service interface.
In order to set the endpoint required for the next test run, you have to select it from the list and click the Assign button in the top menu. As result an additional dialogue opens which provides several options.
In this example we want to set the new endpoint for all requests and test requests, therefore this option has to be selected. Afterwards all requests point to the new endpoint and the test suite can be executed.
Just required some Oracle Metadata Repository (MDS) partitions for some testing. If you ever get to the same situation just use MDS_INTERNAL_COMMON.getOrCreatePartitionID procedure which is shipped with the MDS Schema when installing it using the Repository Creation Utility (rcu):
While setting up my new developer VM I came to the point where I had to configure git again. As I keep on configuring git on several VMs and systems required for and provided by my clients, I thought it might be a good idea to create a small shell script which sets up my standard configuration.
Options I normally use are:
# Set username
git config user.name
# Set user email
git config user.email
# Set standard editor
git config core.editor
# Activate colors in output
git config color.ui true
# Some helpful aliases
git config alias.s status
git config alias.au '!git add -u && git status'
git config alias.spull 'svn rebase'
git config alias.spush 'svn dcommit'
When building modern IT systems one has to consider many areas prior to project start. A common area within Java projects is the definition of a proper project package structure in order to prevent package/naming conflicts. However, from time to time you still run into some conflicts due to changes in project structure, design or the usage of third party libraries.
Recently, I encountered some DataControl conflicts in a small ADF project of mine. In order to solve it I used JDeveloper’s package structure refactoring capabilities in order to move the affected classes and DC definitions. I was pleased to see that all references seemed to be amended appropriately. Nevertheless I ran into some problems regarding the DataControls.dcx file when trying to run the application the next time:
oracle.mds.core.MetadataNotFoundException: MDS-00013: no metadata found for metadata object "/com/foo/bar/DataControls.dcx"
I recognised that the error message still presented the old DataControls.dcx path to me. So I used JDevelopers search in files tool which can be found under “Search -> Find in Files…”.
However, I could not find any file which contained the path displayed. As the problems occurred after a package structure refactoring I changed my search string to package notation and finally found something within the DataBindings.cpx file.
Just released a new post on the esentri AG blog describing how to properly access a web service which enforces web security policies on it’s WSDLs using Oracle SOA Suite 11g. Blog entry can be found here: